Energy is one of the primary role of any cell in the body.
Through dietary intake of food the digestive system breaks it down into particles that can enter the blood stream, the cell and produce energy.
This process of energy transformation occurs in the power unit of the cell called Mitochondria. We all have thousands of these units: their malfunction or the lack of nutrients needed to produce energy, protect themselves or environmental challenges affect how we produce, utilize, transport energy.
Genetic predisposition, lack of co factors like magnesium, b vitamins and lifestyle are responsible for low energy output.
Energy production depends on:
- Raw Material – food, lack of green leafy vegetables
- Transport problems – Blood sugar disregulation or dysglicemia
- Hormonal control – stress hormones production, sex hormones imbalances
- Structural – Thyroid and adrenals health
- Environment – energy required, sedentary, active, lack of sleep, busy lives
- Digestive health – breakdown and absorption of nutrients
- Excess stimulants, sugary based foods
Energy therefore depends on many factors that are unique and can be adjusted in order to achieve homeostasis and balance.
What we eat, when we eat and how much we eat can be tuned to our life load. using functional medicine tools we can point to essential intervention in order to reduce the stress on the mitochondria’s and optimize energy output.
The following symptoms are key indicator of failure of energy output, production and Nutritional Therapy can help of great help
Tired all the time, I sleep a lot but feel tired, I am exhausted,
Dip of energy through the day, I need to have stimulants, I crave certain foods,
I can t sleep, I can t fall asleep, I wale up at night,
I need to urinate often, I crave salt, I feel dizzy upon standing
Pain around the kidney area Dark circle under the eyes Irritable when hungry
Anxious Diarrhoea, constipation Mood swings
Tips to improve energy
- Balance blood sugar levels
- Increase green leafy vegetables
- Reduce sugar food and stimulants
- Reduce activity if is overwhelming you
- Rest vs active
- Reduce stress
- Address digestive issues
- Practice relaxation or mild exercise
- Write a food diary, differentiate food groups and balance
If you need any help with energy levels or want to book your consultation directly by email at email@example.com or call me at 087 6528301